Where Did I Put My Tiara

The life unglamorous . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utah, United States

see biography at http://www.marjoriejones.com

Friday, October 21, 2005

And the wheels turn ...

Or they don't, depending on who's driving.
 
Yesterday, my 17-year-old daughter wrecked my car.  Now, in her defense, the sun was glaring in her eyes something feirce and the accident occured at an intersection that has been begging for a stop sign or an accident for years.  But, she also cut the corner (something very easy to do at that particular intersection) and I've told her not to cut that corner more times than I can count.
 
So, my beautiful 99 LeSabre has no front end.  Okay, it has half a front end, but one side is so beat up, we can't even open the driver's side door all the way.
 
It got me to thinking though, about how precious we all are.  Especially our children.  See, she was on her way to choir practice in the morning so she could learn the music for a funeral that afternoon.  She just started singing with the choir and this was supposed to be her first practice.  So, when she left the house, I was in the kitchen with her sister looking over a homeschooling assignment.  Staci called her goodbyes from the front landing and we both answered her.  "I love you!"  "I love you too.  Be careful!"
 
Same old, same old. 
 
But what if the accident hadn't been a really slow speed collision?  What if she'd been hurt?  Heaven forbid, what if it had been even worse?  What if the last things I ever said to my daughter were, "I-love-you-be-careful?"  Recited like a script or an obligation...
 
So, here is a mission for today.  I know I'm going to try it and see how it feels.  Speak to those you love from your heart to their heart instead of from your lips to their ears.  Look them in the eye when you say goodbye, hello or I love you.  Mean it more today than you did yesterday and more tomorrow than you did today.  Memorize their eyes.
 
That's your challenge.
 
If you feel like it, post a comment here or email me to let me know how it felt.  I'd sure hate to think the only reason my daughter had an accident was to increase my insurance rates and bring a ton of stress down on her poor mother.  I'm much happier knowing it happened because her poor mother needed a wake up call.
 
Hugs,
Marjorie
 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marjorie,

I will comment on this tomorrow. Today I am reliving stuff based on your post, and I need a bit of distance for a moment.

It is true, take the time to really look your loved ones in the eyes and mean what you say as you see them off. It only takes a second of your time.

But you also can't berate yourself if most often you do the rote "I love you, Take care." thing.

You do mean it even though its become a habit to say only that.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Marjorie Jones said...

(((Hugs Jewell))) Thanks. And you're right. I did mean it when I said it. I mean it everytime I say because I do love my children, as we all do. To top it all off: We went for the estimate today (over 4 Grand... ouch) and "Beaches of Cheyenne" by Garth Brooks came on the radio. *sigh* So there are myself and daughter... bawling like a couple of women in the front seat. But hey... at least my radio still works!

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home