Where Did I Put My Tiara

The life unglamorous . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utah, United States

see biography at http://www.marjoriejones.com

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

The Griswalds meet the Tool Man

My front door stopped working yesterday.  I know!  It's like it's overworked or anything.  We come in.  We go out.  How hard of a life it that, really?  Apparently harded that we think, because yesterday, my door went on strike. 
 
I'm not a carpenter so please forgive my lack of industry terms here, but the metal peice that extends from the door and moves in and out when you turn the knob stopped turning.  Of course the door was closed at the time, so the door was stuck closed.  We tried to wedge it free, but that didn't work.  We came close to seriously damaging the molding around the door.
 
So, this morning after Church, I finally removed the doorknob thinking that I could then pull the extended mechanism free, but no such luck.  Apparently, that peice is slid in from the outside. 
 
No amount of wedging, shifting, begging, banging or pleading was going to loosen this thing.
 
There was only one thing I could do...  I went into my husband's sanctuary... His Tool Room and found what I believed to be that reciprocating thingy with the blade for cutting metal.  I plugged it in and after several attempts that left me shaking in my Pradas... I won.
 
That's right.  I sliced through that broken doorknob mechanism thingy between my door and the frame like a hot knife through butter.  Okay, so it was more like the Titanic through an ice feild, but the door did open when I was finished.  I was going to have to buy a new doorknob anyway, right?  So, no harm, no foul.
 
I don't know what you're doing this afternoon, but I'm going to Wally World to get a new doorknob before my husband gets home.
 
Hugs,
Marjorie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home