Where Did I Put My Tiara

The life unglamorous . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utah, United States

see biography at http://www.marjoriejones.com

Monday, March 27, 2006

The hero and heroine must meet in the first chapter ...

Errr... says who?
 
If you think the only way you're going to be published is to have the hero and heroine meet in the first chapter, please raise your hand. 
 
Put Your Hands Down!!!  Honestly.
 
What about an enticing and fresh plot?  What about a great story?  What about sexual tension and all of the other things that go into writing a fantabulous romance?  I'm trying to remember if my hero and heroine meet in the first chapter of either of my paperbacks and I honestly can't remember.  Gonna have to look that one up.  Why can't I remember?  Because it really isn't that important.
 
The hero and heroine of your story should meet when it's time for them to meet.  If that's chapter one, great.  If it's chapter three great.  I suppose I must explain that, at SOME point in the story, they are going to have to meet.  And they are going to have to meet with enough time to fall in love.  If they meet on the last page... well... you get the idea.  But I'm not going to say that they have to meet by page 12, kiss by page 44, screw by chapter 4 or any of that other nonsense.  These are people we're talking about.  Imaginary, invented people, but people just the same.  Carry them where they need to go.  Let them carry you.  Whatever your style, don't get bogged down in what someone tells you is a hard and fast rule to writing fiction.
 
And remember, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.
 
Oh, and I looked it up.  In The Lighthorseman, my newest release, the hero and heroine do not lay eyes on each other until Chapter Three.
 
Hugs,
Marjorie
 

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must comment here. Marjorie is right. IF you're writing single title. If you're writing category, the "rules" are a little different. I'm not saying they have to meet in chapter 1 but chapter 3 is way to late for category. ST you have 100k pages to play with. LOTS of time for h/h to meet. In category you have almost 1/2 that. So if you want to build a relationship between your characters in category, then they should probably meet sooner than chapter 3.

Just a thought I had to throw out there.

Sharon

12:34 PM  
Blogger Marjorie Jones said...

Very true, Sharon. Should have disclaimered that one LOL... Each of the category lines have strict guidelines to follow, from what I understand. So here's my disclaimer... every comment on this blog will be for the single title market LOL *grin*

1:51 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

What?? Rules???
LOL -
I knew there was something I hated about writing.
It's the same with art though - I guess rules are everywhere. I haven't tackled a romance book yet - but this is good advice - thanks guys!

11:16 PM  
Blogger Marjorie Jones said...

Oh, then you'll love it here, Sam LOL. I'm doing my level best to debunk as many rules as I can! All my own opinions, of course. LOL

7:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah! so this where you've been hanging out. Why you don't answer emails. What occupies all your free time.

Yeah, I noticed you don't blog regularly, but I had to tease ya. We'll see how long it takes you to notice I hunted you down. *grin*

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home