Where Did I Put My Tiara

The life unglamorous . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utah, United States

see biography at http://www.marjoriejones.com

Friday, December 30, 2005

The Chronicles of Narnia

All I can say is, they'd BETTER make all seven movies!
 
I took my youngest daughter to see The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe tonight.  I started crying during the opening credits and I cried until we left the theater.  I've been waiting for this film since I was twelve years old.  Honestly.
 
I first discovered Narnia when I was twelve and had a regular gig babysitting for two adorable little boys.  Halfway through the summer, their mother gave me a collector box of all seven books -- you probably the know the one I'm talking about; white box, white books with amazing artwork on the cover.  She gave them to me with the words, "I think you'll like these.  They're great books, but a little too Christian for us."  They were a Jewish family.
 
It took me several read throughs before I was old enough to understand what she meant, and I have forever thanked her for introducing me to the children and to Aslan.
 
Once I married and started my family, I continued to read the books, eventually moving on to reading them aloud to my kids.  My children grew up with Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy -- not to mention Caspian, Rillian, and the gang.  We went through many copies.  Those first books were read to death, but I still have my tattered copy of Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Currently, we own a combined volume where the stories appear in C.S. Lewis' recommended reading order, starting with The Magician's Nephew and ending with The Last Battle.   But we still read them in the original order.  It's a habit I can't seem to break.
 
I've seen 'movies', and television adaptations, of the books before, but they have all been sadly lacking in the majesty that is Narnia.  This movie FINALLY did it justice.  I love that King Peter resembles the once and future King William!  And Lucy couldn't have been more perfectly cast.  Edmund was just rotten enough and Susan was amazing!  Even the old professor was just as I'd imagined him all these years.  But the kicker, the most wonderful suprise in all of the Seven Isles was Aslan... don't know about you, but I could listen to Liam Neeson all night long!
 
So tonight, I learned two very important things.  One, I already knew (but needed a reminder) and the other was news to me. 
 
1.  I need to read the stories aloud with my youngest again.  It's been too long and she was sadly lacking in her knowledge of Narnia this evening.  *shaking head*
 
and 2.  It's not as if Aslan is a TAME LION.
 
Hugs,
Marjorie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home