Where Did I Put My Tiara

The life unglamorous . . .

My Photo
Name:
Location: Utah, United States

see biography at http://www.marjoriejones.com

Monday, August 21, 2006

Time to Say Goodbye

Well, it's been nice.  No I'm not giving up on the blog quite yet, but I am giving up my membership in the RWA.  This was something that I'd considered doing late last year, but since I suffer from "Cant-say-no-itis", I agreed to take over as president of my chapter instead.
 
Why had I considered leaving?  It wasn't because I wasn't getting a benefit.  Of course I was.  Friendship among the top of the list.  You can't complain to your spouse if one of your characters is misbehaving, right?  Friends and family don't get it.  Fellow writers do.  It's that simple.  It was worth my hundred or so bucks per year to have that kind of companionship.
 
I considered leaving because of TIME, and time alone.  My trips to the monthly meetings were a full day adventure.  I live over 100 miles from the meeting place.  It was expensive, esp. with gas these days.  So I admit that I wanted to leave almost a year ago.
 
But I didn't.  I should have, but I didn't.  I was the Pres. for a few months, then I received a lecture from my doctor, and the pathologist, about how 'can't-say-no-itis' is a real condition -- also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  I was running a fever for more than six months.  No energy.  Depressed.  Didn't care about anything... at least not enough to make myself to my job.  So, out of fairness to the chapter, I resigned as President.  Broke my heart, but it had to be done.  They needed someone to really rally the troops, and they got that in the form of the VP, Phyllis Campbell - http://www.phyllismariecampbell.com who has now taken over.  The entire board is fabu!
 
However, that wasn't my only issue.  I also have a daughter who decided to rob me blind right around the time I went to RT in Daytona.  I thought I'd simply lost my mind and was incapable of balancing a checkbook, had to borrow over a grand to go on the trip I'd booked, and take a grand advance from my very part time gig at a cell phone store (which took two months to earn back -- read: no paycheck for two months).  I just deleted the gorry details, but suffice it to say, I haven't a lot of pocket cash these days.
 
So I just received word from my local chapter that I'm on the outs, officially.  I can't attend meetings and I'm not going to be in the yahoo groups anymore.  Done.  Finis. 
 
I need to find a good spin here.  I'm a writer.  I write.  I have lots of friends on email and in lists who commiserate that fact.  I now have that expensive Saturday once per month to write! 
 
And write I shall.
 
Hugs,
Marjorie
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home